The Lighthouse Foundation
The Lighthouse Foundation is a family support project whose main aim is to offer support to families and children who have a family member addicted to either alcohol/drugs. Although the project is based in East Ayrshire its families also reside in the North and South of the region.
Since 2001 the charity has looked at the needs of its families and children and over the last 12 years have developed a range of services that can be of benefit.
These services are -
- Main Project – Offers support to any family who reside in Ayrshire and have a family member addicted to either drugs or alcohol. 132 families support in 2012- 55% from EAC
- Supporting the Families of Prisoners at HMP Kilmarnock – Offers support to families who have a family member imprisoned in HMP Kilmarnock, the project gives advice to families of prisoners at Outside visits on prison procedures and for indepth support the family is referred to the charity’s Prison Support Coordinator. 79 Families accessed support via Support Coordinator with advice given to 428 families.
- Support for families of the accused at Ayr and Kilmarnock Sherriff Courts – Project offers support, advice and advocacy for families via charity’s Court Advisor- if family member is imprisoned family is referred to Prison Support Coordinator -57 families supported.
- S.T.O.P. Drugs Education Saves Lives – Provides information to families, families of prisoners and community groups in Ayrshire on the signs of basic drug abuse, signs of overdose, basic first aid, Naloxone (antidote of opiate overdose, which if administered can help prevent drug related death) training for families in partnership with NHS Ayrshire and Arran and information on legislation. The Project also delivers Basic drug awareness to a number of secondary school in South and East Ayrshire
- Support for Children affected by addiction – Provides play therapy for children between the ages of 3-11 who are living with another carer because of their parents addiction problems and Drama therapy for young people between the ages of 12-18. The charity also provides weekly children’s and young persons groups in East and North Ayrshire facilitated by Children’s sessional workers and volunteers. These groups offers Fun activities for children between the ages of 5 – 12, befriending and group activities for young people between the ages of 12 -18. 118 children accessed activities. Children registered with charity in 2012 - 41 children under 5 years, 78 children aged between 6-12 years and 33 children aged between 13-16 years.
- Support and mediation for families and persons in recovery- offers mediations to persons in recovery and their estranged family. This project helps persons who have started their recovery journey renew family support which is proven to aid that person’s recovery. 32 persons in recovery and their family accessed project in 2012
Support on offer:-
- Advice & Information
- Advocacy & Befriending
- Child and adolescent Therapy
- Group Meetings (self help & speakers)
- Focus Groups
- Kinship carer support
- Respite Trips/HolidaysWebsite & Quarterly newsletter
55% of families supported reside in East Ayrshire, 35% in North Ayrshire and 10% in South Ayrshire.
The Lighthouse Foundation
40A Portland Road
KILMARNOCK KA1 2DJ
Tel: 01563 521343